Sunday, January 28, 2007

Ready for the World

Well... after 3+ months of excitment and anticipation the time has come for me to commence this journey. In 6 hours I'll be heading to the airport and off to circumnavigate planet Earth. (It really does sound more dramatic when you call it "planet Earth," don't you think?).

I spent all day today choosing shirts & pants, and then putting them all away and going with different shirts & pants (I did this 4 times). I counted and recounted the numbers of pairs of underwear I planned to pack (29). And then I looked at my dining room table, full of "stuff" and started to worry. There was no way it would all fit into two bags, and weigh less than 100 lbs. Somehow the travel gods were with me, b/c it all fit with room to spare. I even had some extra space for the last minute add ons like Rainbow's End Trail Mix (the BEST ever from TJ's). I'm quite sure I will be the only dinosaur on the ship using a DiscMan instead of an iPod. I came to the conclusion that while I am generally a disorganized, messy, fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of guy... I am really travel-anal. Yes, I said travel-anal, and it is a funny expression. Feel free to borrow it and claim it as your own. I swear I spent at least an hour crosschecking 3 different sets of packing lists. But I'll be damned if I'm not prepared for any eventuality. (Erupting volcanos? no sweat!).

The last little gift I received for my journey comes courtesy of Jennifer Gamble, my new colleague and friend. She just got off the Fall '06 voyage and was incredibly helpful as I geared up for my trip. She gave me a wrist band that is printed with the phrase "Ready for the World!" And that's just what I am. So when I wake up in the morning (at 4am, yikes!) I'm gonna slap on my bracelet and then I'm off to see the world.

4 comments:

Danelle said...

Hey there! Happy Belated B-day! You're going to have an amazing time and I am so going to enjoy reading your blog! Is it ok that I am jealous even though I just got back from SAS? You are going to some amazing places and you're going to have a great time! I can't wait to read about it all. And we are so going to dish when you get back. Yas and I just had a dishing session on Friday. Anyway, ENJOY!! Much love, Danelle

Unknown said...

Drew!!!
I miss you already!!! I have been waiting to talk to you every morning! Even Jennifer G misses you! I hope that you are having the time of your life!!
Lurve,
Lupe

Julie Kiefer said...

Drewbie, I am so proud of you and exctied to share this journey with you! Bon Voyage and try to stay in touch as best you can! Enjoy this once in a lifetime opportunity to enjoy a "world of oportunities." Love your face, Jules

Julie Kiefer said...

I meant possibilities :)